We all know that it's important to exercise, and most of us incorporate stretching into our workouts. But that doesn't mean everyone does it! Studies show that stretching not only improves workouts, but it also reduces the risk of injury. So if you're going to work out, you may as well do it right, and be sure to stretch! It's an important and often overlooked exercise that requires no equipment or special clothes.
Stretching has numerous benefits; it improves balance, increases flexibility, and allows for easier movement. If you regularly stretch, you will find it can help reduce soreness/stiffness, encourage improved posture, agility, and athletic performance as well as relieve low-back pain. Stretching even improves circulation, reduces fatigue and stress, reduces tension, promotes relaxation, and makes you feel better in a completely natural way!
5 TIPS FOR STRETCHING
If you regularly practice stretching, you will better condition your muscles for exercise, which will allow them to function more efficiently. Here are 5 tips for stretching:
- Your muscles need to be warmed up before you use them. Jog in place, do some jumping jacks, or take a bike ride around the neighborhood.
- Take your time while stretching. Each stretch should be performed with slow and controlled movements. Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds.
- Don't bounce or bob around while stretching. Simply holding the stretch is effective, and unnecessary movements can cause injuries.
- Stretch just to the point of slight discomfort. You should really feel the stretch in your muscles, but not in your joints. Be aware of what your body is telling you and how you fee. If you are experiencing acute pain, stop and give us a call!
- You want your body to feel even, so stretch both sides of your body equally.
If you enjoyed these tips and are searching for more ways to improve your health and wellness, give us a call or ask during your next appointment!